Question: "What is Youth with a Mission (YWAM), and what are their beliefs?"
Answer: Youth with a Mission (YWAM) defines itself as “an international volunteer movement of Christians from many backgrounds, cultures and Christian traditions, dedicated to serving Jesus throughout the world.” The stated purpose of YWAM is “to know God and to make Him known.” Ministry teams focus on evangelism through teaching, house construction, medicine, sports, performing arts, and other methods.
YWAM was founded in 1960 by Loren Cunningham and has over 18,000 staff members in more than 1,000 locations worldwide. Its statement of faith includes the following:
• the Bible is God's inspired and authoritative word, revealing that Jesus Christ is God’s son; that people are created in God's image;
• God created us to have eternal life through Jesus Christ;
• although all people have sinned and come short of God's glory, God has made salvation possible through the death on the cross and resurrection of Jesus Christ;
• repentance, faith, love and obedience are fitting responses to God’s initiative of grace towards us;
• God desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth;
• the Holy Spirit’s power is demonstrated in and through us for the accomplishment of Christ’s last commandment, “...Go ye into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature” (Mark 16:15). (Source: http://www.ywam.org/About-YWAM/Who-we-are/Statement-of-Faith)
In addition to its statement of faith, YWAM affirms the Manila Covenant, Lausanne Covenant, and the Christian Magna Carta as being consistent with its beliefs.
An evangelical outreach focused on world evangelism, YWAM frequently partners with other evangelical ministries for the purposes of spreading the gospel message to new people. Past partnerships have included alliances with groups such as Christian Aid, Cru (formerly Campus Crusade for Christ), the International Mission Board, Wycliffe Bible Translators, and World Vision.
In its more than 50 years of existence, YWAM has operated in many areas around the world and helped countless individuals find Christ and grow in their walk with God. More information about YWAM and its efforts can be found at ywam.org.